Saturday, September 6, 2008

Rain rain go away

We are awaiting the vestiges of Tropical Storm Hannah to arrive here in New England. They say we could get 2 - 6 inches of rain in the next 12 hours with 60 mile an hour winds. This is nothing like what people in the south face during hurricane season, thankfully. We are curious to see if our new and improved sump pump system will be put to the test, and if so, will it meet the challenge. We have had almost no rain for almost two weeks, so the ground isn't saturated right now. We may not see the pit flood at all. The pool is a good 6 inches below the top edge, so unless we get 6+ inches we won't see that overflow.

The thing we are trying to figure out now is a battery back up system. You would think you could buy this at Home Depot, and you can, sort of. But they are like car batteries, they are DC power, and the sump pump is plugged into AC power. So somehow you have to have a means to convert the power. I am learning a lot about this. What everyone wants to sell us is a back up battery with a supplemental sump pump. I have a pump that works, I don't need another one. But I do need a source of power for it if we lose electricity. I almost want to buy a generator. They have these Coleman generators you can use for camping. Of course those have to be run outside, not inside. That is how people die of carbon monoxide poisoning - when they run their generators inside.

Anywho, I need to go pass out now. This weather system is messing with my body. I am a walking barometer and when big weather systems come through I hurt. The one time I was in the vicinity of a tornado I was almost in a coma. This is why I can't live in hurricane and tornado country. All summer long people would find me in a heap somewhere unable to function every time a storm was brewing. Makes getting in the storm cellar difficult. Goodnight.

No comments: