Sunday, March 29, 2009

You won't find me auditioning for American Idol but...

I am too old to audition for American Idol, of course. And I couldn't care less what Simon Cowell would have to say about things. But I did sing again at Ryles Jazz Cafe this morning with my friend Harvey Finstein and his trio. I did three songs this time, and while the video quality isn't the greatest because of where we were sitting and the lighting, you can at least get an idea of what I was singing and how it went in the video clip I put up here. It is just the last 40 seconds or so of Fly Me To the Moon. It was not as terrifying as the last time, although it was WAY more crowded this time. I walked in and immediatley said "oohhhh nooooo". Lots of deep breathing. That also means you get the benefit of hearing everyone talking around Bob as he filmed. I think if I do this 12 or so more times I will get used to it and can begin working on things like stage presence. I figured out what to do with my hands this time. That helped. I need to ACT more. Put more pizzazz into it. I know my strengths and weaknesses, and improvisation is not one of my strengths. I learn a song and that is the way I sing it. I try to get a little loose with my interpretation, then I begin to forget what I am doing and what the words are and gah I am singing Itsy Bitsy Spider instead of A Train. If I was Bobbie McFarren I might be able to make that into a multimillion dollar show, but I am not. All in all I think it went well. People applauded, one guy said Thank you and I didn't pass out or anything.

No comments: