Friday, May 16, 2008

Foggy brain...

This picture was taken by my neice, Erin, who is an almost 16 year old fabulous photographer, and she lives in Oregon. I thought it represented what my brain feels like today.

Ugh. There is a weather front trying to move in, and if I haven't mentioned it before, I am a walking, talking barometer. If I was one of those water filled glass things with blue water in it, blue water would probably be spurting out of the top of my head right now. Which means my brain is on FOG. I could lay down and be asleep inside of 20 seconds and it would be a good deep sleep. Sadly I am sitting at my desk at work, and they would probably frown on me snoring in my office.

Instead, I will blog. About how loud my husband and child can be. Now, admittedly it might have had something to do with my foggy brain, but they seemed REALLY loud this morning. We live in a small house, 1900 square feet roughly. It is your standard cape, with a front to back living room, half bath, kitchen and dining room on the first floor, and three rooms and a full bath upstairs. When you get to the top of my stairs, the landing is probably 10 feet wide and four feet deep. Every room is within 6 feet of the other room for the most part. There isn't a big need for yelling to communicate with another person in the house, generally.

But one of the other people in my house is 18 months old (as of this past Sunday!) and the other is an adolescent boy in a grown up man's body. When the little dude stood at the bottom of the stairs and hollered "Dadadadadadadaaaa" the big dude at the top of the stairs seemed incapable of doing anything but hollering back "COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP". Which made the little dude want to climb the stairs to get to Dadadadadaaaaa. But he isn't really good at climbing stairs by himself yet, especially big wooden stairs that would crack his little skull open if he fell down them. So the big dude is up at the top of the stairs saying "No Coop, don't climb the stairs, no don't do it" but he isn't actually coming DOWN to deal with it. And all the little dude knows is he wants to be with Dadadadadaaaaa. So I have to go and deal with it. Or my kid would be climbing, by himself, up the stairs and possibly falling down the stairs soon after.

All of this of course, was being said in VERY loud voices. Up the stairway, which is very echoey. Oh my head. On top of that, at some point, while I was holding Cooper, the Bob went to hug him and whacked me in the nose. Ouch. Not on purpose of course, but the enthusiasm took over and my nose got in the way.

I really just want to be on the couch with a cup of tea watching the 4 days of the Ellen DeGenerous show I have recorded. By myself, with no one touching me, yanking at me, talking to me, wanting anything from me. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh. Instead I am at work, and part of my job is to explain things to students and parents about applying for aid, paying for college and sometimes this means explaining the same thing over and over again. Sometimes to the same people because no one ever reads anything we mail to them, or because they are new to doing this and it can be complicated, or sometimes 10 people call with the same questions so we say the same thing over and over.

I may have been whining. Oh yes, I definitely whined. I will get over myself now and make a cup of tea, and even if I can't be on the couch in the quiet of my living room, it may go a long way to restoring my brain.

No comments: