Friday, January 11, 2008

You and me and the bottle makes three

No, I am not up late hitting the juice. I am referring to the latest occurrence in our lives where, after almost 6 months of sleeping through the night faithfully, our dear little sweet pea has begun waking in the middle of the night. We figured out after a few nights that he doesn't need to be up for long, but he does seem to need to be up. We try waiting him out, to see if he will just go back to sleep, but since our room is approximately 10 feet from his, when he goes full tilt boogie with the screaming, there is little chance of him relaxing back into sleep. So we get up, get him a bottle or actually sippy cup now, and sit up for roughly 20 - 30 minutes.

We have tried keeping him up later to see if that would mean he would go the whole night, but he is so tired at the end of the day that it is almost cruel and unusual punishment to try to keep him up past 6:30. So for now, we are seeing where this goes. I suspect that once we get through the worst of his teething - he is sprouting the molar equivalent to the Dolamites - he will settle back into his routine of being the most perfect child and will sleep through the night again.

I have this book a friend lent me, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Babies. The author tries to suggest at one point that it is an old wives tale that babies wake up because of teething or gas. I don't know about you, but I know I wake up if I am experiencing gastrointestinal distress, and I am pretty sure that if I was pushing hard bone-like growths out through my gumline I would not only be awake but drinking heavily and I don't mean milk. As it is a sinus headache will wake me up, so I have decided to stop reading this book.

No comments: