Wednesday, July 7, 2010

One thing...

Today is my birthday. HELLOOOOO 46. I like my age, for now. I haven't worried too much about it other than when I realize how old I will be by the time Cooper is in college. Older than the average bear for sure. I am the same age, if not older than, most of the parents of the students I work with now which on some days is disconcerting and other days makes me wonder WHAT WERE THEY THINKING having kids at such a young age.

Anyway, I have been puzzling through, wandering around in my head considering things I could do on this here blog each day for a year. A lot of people have done things with their blog like that. A picture of themselves a day for a year, that kind of thing. I don't feel the need to torture myself or any of my thousands of readers with a daily picture of MOI, so that was not the answer.

This morning my boss asked me if I felt wiser, for having advanced another year. And I realized that was the thing. Rather than consider just once a year what I have learned, I think I will attempt to put on here once a day one thing I learned that day. I said I will attempt to do it once a day, because if the interwebs conspire against me or I find myself in a black hole of access to technology on any given day, I might not be able to post.

I don't promise it will be profound every day either. It might be something as obvious as Do NOT put a liter of soda in the freezer. Unless you want to defrost and clean your freezer. You have been warned.

Today's thing I learned: Apparently one could say I have a very eclectic taste in music. My boss was asking me about iPods, as she is JUST getting one for the first time, and I was showing her mine and how iTunes works. She noted that I have Bach and Bossa Nova in my library, along with jazz, blues and blue grass and Aerosmith to name a few. She asked how I get exposed to music and find new things to listen to. I thought to myself, good LORD I don't even come close to having the exposure to new and different types of music that other people I know do, like my brother or some of my more creatively inclined friends who spend way more time on iTunes or Pandora listening to music. But in her mind, I have a broad range in my musical tastes.

So there it is. I am musically eclectic. Who knew.

And I miss the ducklings. I don't miss all the poop, but I miss their peeping and their little fuzzy selves. Apparently I am a duck person.

5 comments:

Dproudmama said...

What we learned each day -What a fine idea. Good idea for any of us even if we do not have a blog. You have done a mighty fine job with your 46 years. We are happy to have shared them.

Chip said...

I am exposed to new music via The Girl Child. She makes me lists of bands she finds on MySpace and other places in hopes that I will like one and then snag it impulsively from iTunes. It's a symbiotic relationship. Plus there are great songs embedded in commercials, tv shows and movies. Takes a little interwebbing to track it down but there it is. Sometimes it doesn't work so well. The theme song for Lie to Me is WAAY better as a snippet theme song than a real song. But hey, it only cost $1.29 to find that out.

I wonder if there's a way to let you have access to my iTunes... like a radio stream.

Meg at the Members Lounge said...

Happy belated b-day MLM! I admire your determination to try and post daily. I made three times a week a goal and have mostly managed to stick to it with the exception of some holidays and some medical emergencies. I actually love having that schedule to adhere to and find I have become enamored of attempting to be semi-interesting every few days.

Wenderina said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

Oz said...

Happy belated birthday!

I bet the ducks miss you, too.